Monday, August 2, 2021


Well we got home lunchtime from our first little camping trip and now we are preparing to leave on our next one Wednesday morning!

The campsite we stayed on near my Dads was called Fairwood Lakes in Dilton Marsh which is about 3 miles from my Dad. We had never stayed here before as it is a relatively new campsite and it was brilliant. There are fishing lakes you can walk around and as well as camping pitches there are some shepherd style huts and lodges you can rent. They have a cafe and a lovely seating area with a grass area for ball games etc and a play area at the bottom. We arrived on Friday and as we couldn't check in till 2pm we went to my Dads first and had lunch with him and my sister. We then went off to the campsite and got ourselves all set up then later on collected my Dad and took him out for dinner. We went to a local pub we like and had a lovely meal and a good catch up.

On Saturday morning we took my Dad to The Rowdey Cow Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour. This is somewhere we only discovered last summer and the girls love it as there are animals to look at and the ice cream is amazing. We sat outside in the nice garden area they have and unlike all our other visits we finally were able to have proper cups and saucers instead of take away ones. We had a very pleasant hour sat in the sunshine. After lunch back at my Dads we left him to his sport and went to visit Hubby's Mum. The only trouble with both coming from the same town is that when we visit we have a lot of people to visit!. Also there were my Sister in Law and Brother in Law and their three children so quite a houseful. After leaving there we collected fish and chips to take back to camp to eat and after dinner had a lovely walk all around the lakes.

Sunday was very damp in the morning and as our pitch was getting a tad muddy we decided to go over to my Dads house for a coffee. We had a table booked for lunch at his local Prezzo for 1pm, meeting my Sister and Brother in law there, so until then the girls and I had a couple of games of scrabble. The girls love playing but it does get a bit heated! We had a lovely lunch and then went back to my Dads where my Sister joined us for a couple more games of scrabble, which she won both times. We said goodbye to all of them and went back to camp. By about 6pm the sun had come out so Hubby's family all came over with their dog and we had a lovely couple of hours walking around the lakes and sat out on the patio area chatting.

Today, we packed up and came home and got busy unloading the car to repack tomorrow, doing a few loads of washing, and a food shop this evening so that we, and the older two girls, who are staying at home, have supplies.

Now I am going to sit and have a couple of glasses of wine and relax before a busy day tomorrow of packing again.



8 comments:

  1. You were very close to me in Hilperton Marsh, Being fairly new to this particular part of Wildshire, I haven't heard of the Fairwoods campsite, but will remember it for future reference when family come to stay. My cat stays at Clearwood when we go away, I assume it's close? Best wishes x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad lives in Hilperton, so normally if we camp we stay at the camping and caravanning site at Seend Cleeve but they were full so this was a very nice alternative. Can highly recommend it if you want a not too long walk and then a coffee sat out. Ideal for young children, lots of playthings as is the Rowdey Cow Cafe on the way to Devizes.

      Delete
    2. yes, I remembered that your dad lives in Hilperton, small world x x x

      Delete
  2. I love the Rowdey Cow, have been there several times with my GD x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place to spend some family days! I'm sure you enjoyed every minute with your daughters, your Dad and sister, your in-laws.
    Enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely break from Devon. No matter how gorgeous our county, it's nice to have a break. Enjoy the rest of the school holidays.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely break, and nice to catch up with family.

      Delete

 My Mondays to Fridays tend to be very samey hence why I've been quiet the last couple of weeks. It's a very dull routine of getting...