Sunday, November 7, 2021



 So what have I been up to lately? Well the second part of half term week was taken up by Halloween. On the Thursday one of L's friends had invited all the girls to her house for a Halloween sleepover. There are seven year 6 girls in L's class so that's a very brave Mum! They all went dressed up and played various games and watched films and apparently L finally went to sleep at 2 am! I picked her up Friday morning and thought she would be flagging by lunch time but no she kept on going, coming out for a long walk around the village and later on  doing dance shows for D and her boyfriend! On Saturday  it was K's turn for a Halloween party at a friends house and then Sunday L and I were invited to one of her friends house, with a load of other people, for hotdogs before going out trick or treating. I have to say I do not like Halloween at all and have had to grit my teeth and get on with it for the girls enjoyment over the years but I am planning that this was the last year of trick or treating at least, as L will be at secondary school next year.

Last Wednesday I had a nice pampering morning having my hair cut at a salon in Newton Abbot that I used to go to years ago. Our village hairdressers, who I usually use, has gradually been putting their prices up and for someone who only has the dry ends cut off, it has got to be expensive. In the other salon, for half the price, I had an apprentice cut my hair. She has nearly finished her course so knew what she was doing and made a very good job of my hair.

Friday night we decided to have some fireworks in our garden, the first time in this house. It was a bit bittersweet as in our last house my parents always came and stayed a couple of days and it was my Mums job to make a Guy with the girls. She would bring all the equipment and it would always be a surprise for my Dad to see which of his clothes (that my Mum deemed too tatty for him to wear anymore) the Guy would end up wearing. Our last house had a big garden and was out in the country with no neighbours so we would have a big bonfire for the Guy to sit on and make an evening of it. This year it was just us and the fireworks were stuck in a wheelbarrow of soil to be lit - no bonfire.

This weekend we have been up to Wiltshire to visit my Dad and S who is currently living with him while she works out her notice in Bath. We took my Mother in Law out for a coffee and a mooch around the town on Saturday afternoon and then took my Dad to Prezzo for dinner in the evening and my Sister also joined us. Today we took my Dad for a snack lunch at a local Wetherspoons and then had an afternoon of Scrabble before driving home. S will be back home living from next weekend but the referencing is taking awhile for Exeter hospital so she hasn't yet got a start date for her new job. At this rate it could be January before they are ready for her in which case she will help out in our village Hotel again to earn some money until she starts.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to everyone being out of the house so I can have a good clean and sort some Christmas presents that need to be put out of the way. I am having coffee with a friend on Wednesday but no other real plans other than work.

4 comments:

  1. I think many people enjoyed a quieter bonfire night this year.
    Now it's time to gradually prepare for Christmas. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, and the girls enjoyed it as it was probably five years ago that we last had fireworks.
      Yes Christmas, that time of year when I continually have little bits of paper in my bag with ideas for what to get the girls. I have made a start, especially with their stocking fillers. Other than the girls we only buy for my Dad, my Sister and her Husband and my Mother in Law so not too many.

      Delete
  2. You have been a social butterfly, haven't you? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes a bit of getting used to after all the quiet months we've had!

      Delete

 My Mondays to Fridays tend to be very samey hence why I've been quiet the last couple of weeks. It's a very dull routine of getting...