Saturday, March 27, 2021

 Happy Birthday Mum

Today would have been my lovely Mums 74th Birthday except, that sadly, she passed away from cancer last May.  I have found losing a parent incredibly hard to deal with and think about her every day.  She was diagnosed with cancer (myeloma) when she was 65 and even though she was always told it was treatable but not curable, I think' as the years ticked by' I just pushed that piece of information to the back of my mind. She never complained and apart from a couple of occasions she never looked ill.  My grandparents - her parents - both lived until they were 94 and so I feel cheated really of another 20 years with her.  I last saw her in person at the very beginning of March last year when she and my Dad came down and stayed a couple of nights to celebrate their 52nd wedding anniversary.  It was a lovely visit with a nice walk along Teignmouth seafront and a coffee out and then a family meal at our village Hotel on the evening of their anniversary.  She was told by her consultant in October 2019 that the treatment she was on was no longer working.  She tried two other drugs but sadly neither had any effect on the cancer and then she was told there was nothing more that could be done. Four weeks later she was gone.

                                     

Onto happier news and this morning Daughter S arrived home for her Easter break from university.  We have been for a family walk this afternoon and tonight we are belatedly celebrating her 21st Birthday with a chinese take away and champagne.  We are then going to watch 'The Dig' on netflix. It is lovely to all be together again and I shall savour every minute of her being here.

So tonight I shall be raising my glass to S and also my Mum, a bittersweet day.

8 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and sending you much love,
    My mum was 66 when I lost her in 2010, you expect to outlive your parents but it still hurts. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Vix and sorry to hear you lost your Mum at an even younger age. It's been hard and I just take it one day at a time x

      Delete
  2. Belated Birthday wishes to your daughter. Enjoy your time together. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jules - we had a lovely evening last night belatedly celebrating her 21st Birthday.

      Delete
  3. Treatable but not curable is what we were told when my husband developed a nasty type of Lymphoma in 2015 and died 3 years later aged just 61. The progress in some types of cancer treatment has been amazing but there are so many more types that need more research. Cancer is just so nasty.
    Sending a virtual ((hug)) to you in beautiful Devon and enjoy Easter will your family at home.
    (I just finished that Ellie Griffiths - a very good read as always)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes cancer is nasty and it's a shame that for some types there is still no cure. I've followed your blog for a long time so know the great sadness you suffered with the loss of your lovely Husband.
      I shall indeed enjoy Easter with my lovely girls and have nearly finished the book - like you say a good read.

      Delete
  4. Thinking of you at this difficult time, those we love don't go away they are with us every day. Enjoy Easter with your children , family time is so special, hugs from Val and Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Val - your right family time is very precious.

      Delete

 My Mondays to Fridays tend to be very samey hence why I've been quiet the last couple of weeks. It's a very dull routine of getting...