Friday, May 21, 2021

 It's been a busy few days starting with D's birthday on Wednesday. We had a lovely evening down at our local Hotel and then came home for a glass of bubbles so I felt a bit sluggish Thursday morning.

 The weather was awful, really wet, but S and I decided to go up to Exeter. We started off in Waitrose, in their cafe, having coffees. I actually doubted that they would reopen their cafe as it has been shut, since the start of the first lockdown, and they have used the area as extra display space all these months but I was wrong. I then had a wander around the store and picked up a few things on offer together with their free magazine and paper.  When you are used to doing your weekly shop in Aldi you really notice how expensive Waitrose is but it is such a nice store for a wander around every now and again. We then went into the city centre where S got some new earphones from the Apple store and we had a look in a couple of shops but to be honest the weather put us off staying very long.

 Whilst we were out we had an architect visit to start drawing up plans to have a small extension upstairs to give us an extra bedroom. When we moved here we downsized from a 5 bedroom bungalow with an acre of land to a 3 bed house with a downstairs study which could be used as a bedroom, and which in fact  is D's bedroom. When we moved it coincided with S going off to university, and so we didn't think that she would ever move back in with us so we just put an extra single bed in K's bedroom for when she visited. BUT we were wrong.  In her first year she suffered with bad homesickness and came home a lot and is now hoping to get a job in one of the hospitals around here once she graduates. She wants to do her probationary year around here, whilst living at home, then go travelling for a year and then start looking for a house to buy. So the long and the short of it is she will be moving back home during the summer and in the long term a 13 and a 21 year old sharing,  not huge bedroom, is just not going to work. We love where we live, and house prices have gone mad everywhere, so we think it will be cheaper to extend than move. Finally, as well, the new vinyl flooring was laid in the kitchen as well and it looks great - finally no ripples everywhere.

Today, D didn't start school till 11.30 so we went into Newton Abbot to have breakfast out. We went to the Orsino Lounge, which is part of the Cafe Lounge chain, where D had the full cooked breakfast and I had a bacon butty. Both were really good as was my cappuccino. I dropped her off at school and then came home for a couple of hours peace and quiet and caught up on my ironing.



Tonight I shall be catching up with Kate Humble and then it will be gogglebox. It's an early night tonight as I have to be at Dawlish hospital for my second covid jab at 8.12 am!

                                

                                 





8 comments:

  1. Good luck with your second jab! Waitrose is like going into another world...! Happy belated birthday to D who shares a birthday with my OH.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I'm just hoping that as I felt so rough after the first one I'll sail through this one! Belated Happy Birthday to your OH as well,hope he had a good one.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the jab. Extension plans sound exciting, and a wise decision, especially as you love living there. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jab done - dosed up on paracetamol before I went and shall have more later to hopefully ward off any side effects.
      Just got to hope it's not silly money to have extension built.

      Delete
  3. Hope your jab went as well as ours, 24 hours later and absolutely no dead arms, aches or headaches!
    I've never been to a Waitrose, the nearest one to us is 7 miles away. Jon does all the food shopping, I haven't been in a supermarket since I was in Greece last September! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good with the job - was all very efficient like before.
      I love how Waitrose is laid out - it's just so posh compared to others but I go around muttering in my head about how everything's ££ cheaper in Aldi etc! I usually only buy a few things that are on offer.

      Delete
  4. Hope the second jab went ok. I have a very posh friend that used to shop at Waitrose as a student. It would cost her £5 just for some pesto and pasta... £1.00 for me (this is going back 20 years now). My monsieur jokes that when the girls turn 18, they're both out the door. I can at least one of them wanting to stay though.

    I love Kate Humble, wish she were my big sister! It is hard to watch sometimes though when she's had her whole arm up some pig's jacksie, and in the next scene she's cooking a pie. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jab done and all ok so far.
      Exeter is a university city and it's surprising how many students you see in the Waitrose there - they're student loans won't last if they're shopping in there.
      Kate Humble is great but I spend a lot of time going "yuk, she hasn't even got a glove on" as that arm shoots up a backside!

      Delete

 My Mondays to Fridays tend to be very samey hence why I've been quiet the last couple of weeks. It's a very dull routine of getting...