Tuesday, May 25, 2021

 Well we have a lodger. A stray black cat appeared in our garden late afternoon on Sunday, soaking wet and crying like mad. We let him into our porch and fed him, Hubby went for a walk around the village to see if anyone was out looking for a cat, but nothing. As by this time it was starting to get dark eldest Daughter posted a photo and details on our village facebook page. It got to this morning and no one had come forward. I went off to work and during today he decided to go to our neighbours behind for a few hours. As they hadn't seen our facebook post they also posted about a stray cat but they also took him to a local vet who confirmed that he hadn't been chipped or neutered! They already have three cats so were going to take him to a rescue centre. L, when she got in from school and found he wasn't here, was devastated, so we rang our neighbour and said we would look after him, so he is now back in our porch.  I don't honestly think we are going to find his owner. It is only about a year old and very lively so I wonder if maybe he jumped in a van/lorry and landed up in Devon by accident! I have named him Sid after the book 'Six Dinner Sid' which today seems very apt as he has been fed in two houses at least!. I'm not sure I am necessarily ready to take on another cat so soon after losing Suzie but maybe she sent him our way to fill a cat hole in our lives.




Other than all that carry on I have worked a long day today so am shattered - going to put my PJ's on and read my book if I can stay awake.

11 comments:

  1. Sid is a good looking cat, we gave had our stray for 10 years, she is a wonderful cat, well loved and we feel blessed to have her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone is going to claim him now so I think he is here to stay!

      Delete
  2. Looks like Sid has taken a shine to you all. I hope things work out for you all. I think Sid has already decided haha
    Take care xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if he was a local cat the owners would have come forward by now. I just couldn't bear the idea of him going to a rescue centre. Soft touch, that's me!

      Delete
  3. Sid is beautiful! Cats have a funny way of turning up after the loss of a beloved pet, Frank moved in the day after we lost Polly and never left. You've done the right thing by posting on social media and asking around the village. I think Sid's chosen you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a lovely little thing, and a silly bit of me thinks that maybe Suzie sent him our way. I think if he was local the owners would have come forward by now so I think he will be staying.

      Delete
  4. Aww Sid is gorgeous! When we lost our 20 yr old cat in a freak accident, I vowed I'd never have another. However fate had other ideas and about a fortnight later my dad found an abandoned feral kitten in his garden that had been crying for 2 days. Say no more! She has grown into a lovely cat, now 9 yrs old, but I'd say still about 20% feral in some ways. I'm sure Sid is busy making himself at home with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's only been a couple of months since we had to have Suzie put to sleep and I said we were going to be pet free for a couple of years and now Sid has walked into our lives! L and K are besotted by him, so if no one claims him, which I think they would have by now, it looks like he will be moving in permanently.

      Delete
  5. As lodgers go you've found an adorable one :)
    I think you have a keeper there. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is incredibly cute and chatty and it has been strange not having a cat in the house since Suzie died. We are away next week so a friend will keep an eye on him and feed him and if he's still not been claimed by the time we get back he will be booked in for the snip!!

      Delete
  6. Bonjour,
    How sweet your new cat looks and how kind to adopt him. The cats are like this : one day they appear at our door asking food, the day after they come again and little by little they became a member of the house.
    Have a good day.
    Hélène

    ReplyDelete

 My Mondays to Fridays tend to be very samey hence why I've been quiet the last couple of weeks. It's a very dull routine of getting...