Sunday, November 28, 2021

 We have had a nice weekend down here in Devon. We have been lucky to miss the stormy weather and snow and apart from it being cold and windy yesterday for a few hours all has been normal

Yesterday we went to a Christmas Market held up at a farm/brewery on the edge of our village. It is held every year, except last year, and it's main purpose is to raise funds towards putting on our summer festival every other year. There are always lots of lovely stalls selling various crafts, food, drinks etc. I got the two coasters for my Sister and her Husband, the gingerbread house kit for the girls to do once they've broken up from school for Christmas and a new tree decoration! The gingerbread kit came from Shute Fruit who are a village  'pick your own business' but who also produce a huge and varying array of preserves, chutneys, cordials and at Christmas these kits. I was very lucky on the tombola and came away with two bottles of wine, a jar of Shute Fruit summer jam and several other tins and jars so I was very happy.






Today was warmer and sunny so we went over to Teignmouth and had a lovely long walk along the beach.  It was glorious weather and there were even some brave souls swimming in the sea.



I have not worked this week and nor will I next week as the woman I work for, and all her family have Covid. They are all feeling pretty rough with it, the only small consolation being that as they all have it no-one has to isolate in their bedroom which as my girls found in the summer is worse than having actual Covid!. There has also been an outbreak in Daughter L's class. There are seven year 6 girls and four of them have it and three of them, including L don't. Goodness knows how she managed to escape getting it but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Last Wednesday, after several hundred pounds worth of work, my little car passed it's Mot. Reluctantly, I realise this will probably be her last year with me as she has ridiculously high mileage and she's old. Hopefully, towards the end of next summer the price of secondhand cars will have come back down and I can find a newer version of what I have. While it was in the garage S and I spent the morning in the cinema at their Silverscreen showing which was 'The Last Bus'. On a Wednesday morning they have Silverscreen which is when they show a film from the last year and the ticket includes a hot drink and a biscuit. Needless to say we were the youngest in there, in S's case by about 40 years! We enjoyed it so much we are going again this Wednesday to watch 'Off the Rails'.

D was having dinner at her boyfriends tonight so no roast but a veggie cottage pie instead - she will not go near a lentil so we have to pick the right time to have this dish. S has been to Poland for a long weekend so she is already slumped on the sofa in her pj's. Lots of walking and sightseeing, lots of drinking and not a lot of sleep - a perfect trip away.



Tomorrow I am hoping to start wrapping the girls Christmas presents. With a large family I start early so there's no last minute panic so am very nearly finished I think.


5 comments:

  1. I'm liking the sound of veggie cootage pie and sweet potato wedges. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely and luckily there are a couple of portions leftovers for S and K tonight while the rest of us have a chilli.

      Delete
  2. The market sounds like a lot of fun. I'm away into town this morning, to hopefully make a start on picking up some festive bits and pieces while I have the chance. I might even treat myself to some mince pies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely community event and there's always people selling something a little bit different. I have a few more bits to get today and then I shall carry on with my wrapping. Enjoy your mince pie! x

      Delete
  3. For the first time this year I bought gingerbread house kits for my boys and their girlfriends - the type that you make from scratch as both girls love baking, where as the lads are more into the eating of the finished product!
    thank you for popping over to my blog and leaving a lovely comment😊

    ReplyDelete

 My Mondays to Fridays tend to be very samey hence why I've been quiet the last couple of weeks. It's a very dull routine of getting...